Roguelike Project - Tentative Start

Starting to start a new project.



After an extra long fourth of July break I'm am thinking about starting a new project. I always feel like I wait to long to start posting about these things, so this time I'm getting a head start. I'm thinking about building a 2D tile based roguelike... thing. My main interests are playing around with tile based pixel graphics, playing around with Procedural Generation, and building some kind of interesting simulation.

Over the past couple of days I've been researching and experimenting with game frameworks programmable with C#. I really liked CocosSharp and was going to go with it, but it doesn't provide an easy way to build a desktop app. I would like whatever I make to run on Android, but running on Windows desktop is my first priority (since that is my dev environment). I have settled on MonoGame even though I don't particularly like it. It is both a heavy weight framework, and very low level. It also has practically no documentation. I thought a number of times that I would rather just use the HTML5 canvas but I really want to get some more experience with C#.

I also spent some time looking for assets. I found a really awesome and huge set of sprites: DawnLike - 16x16. It apparently started as a tileset for NetHack, but now contains all kinds of things. I actually don't like the wall tiles, but it will be great to get started with. I also downloaded Tiled the map editor. I don't plan on using pre-built maps, but it has been handy for experimenting with the tileset, and I used it to reorganize everything into a few large sprite sheets.

After installing MonoGame last night and creating a new empty project I spent quite a while staring at the default template trying to decide where to start. I really wanted to just jump in and get some graphics on the screen, but even that will require some infrastructure. The first problem though is where to put stuff. I spent a little time this morning at the white board sketching out the system I'm going to aim for. Afterward I wrote up a little readme file to record and solidify my ideas.

Here is my white board sketch:

I want something sort of like MVVM. I changed the names to better reflect the intent of each module:

  • Simulation - This is the model, in charge of game objects and their interactions.
  • Display - This is the view, in charge of rendering graphics to the screen.
  • Director - This module connects the simulation to the display.

I want the display and simulation to be completely isolated from each other. The display will tick at 60hz and manage all the animation and raw input. The simulation will be ticked manually by the director. I also want to play around with custom events for communicating changes to the director. The structure isn't completely clear to me yet, but I at least have a place to start building the rendering code.

Here is a neat MVVM graphic I found in this Microsoft article